Fast Facts: Dion von Moltke has built his career in North American sports car racing on a solid foundation of international Karting and Formula Car racing. The 26 year old American, with strong ties to South Africa, was born in Houston Texas before moving with his family to Dallas, Sydney, and Los Angeles, Miami and then finally to his current home in Charleston. Dion started racing karts at age 13 and has won several championships at the local and state level before moving up to the National and International level, participating in World championship Karting events in Italy.
Since 2008, Dion has steadily progressed through several professional racing series, becoming a very successful and respected professional race car driver. He has multiple wins in Skip Barber, Grand-Am, American Le Mans, and IMSA series, including two wins at the legendary 12 Hours of Sebring (2012 & 2013) and a win at the Daytona 24 Hour race in 2013. Dion is also a highly popular driver instructor, focusing on all aspects of peak performance.
In total, Dion has 12 wins, 31 Podiums, and 101 top 10 finishes out of 117 sports car races in the years spanning 2008 to 2016.
In 2014 Dion competed in the Tudor United Sports Car season in the No. 35 Flying Lizard Motorsports Audi R8 LMS, teamed with Seth Neiman, team principle.
In 2015 Dion competed a full season, driving in the No. 48 Paul Miller Racing Audi R8 LMS. He captured 5 pole positions in the GTD class in the IMSA Tudor United Sports Car Series, winning the 2015 Total Pole Award. Dion and Christopher Haase finished third in the 2015 GTD championship.
In 2016 Dion was hired as Sportscar Brand Ambassador by Audi of America, whilst driving for every team racing the new Audi R8LMS in both IMSA WeatherTech and Pirelli World Challenge series. He captured a total of 6 podium finishes in both series.
(All results are for races in an Audi R8 LMS as Audi Sportscar Brand Ambassador)
7th Place: 24 Hours of Daytona – Stevenson Motorsports – Audi R8 LMS
2nd Place: Mosport SprintX Race 1 – M1GT Racing – Audi R8 LMS
3rd Place: Mosport SprintX Race 2 – M1GT Racing – Audi R8 LMS
2nd Place: Watkins Glen 6 Hour – Magnus Racing – Audi R8 LMS
2nd Place: Utah Motorsports Park Race 2 – M1GT Racing – Audi R8 LMS
5th Place: Petit Le Mans – Stevenson Motorsports – Audi R8 LMS
3rd Place: Laguna Seca Race 2 – M1GT Racing – Audi R8 LMS
Champion: Pro Driver’s Championship in Pirelli World Challenge SprintX
Audi Sport DTM Young Driver Test: von Moltke was invited by Audi Sport to take part in their DTM test in Jerez, Spain as apart of their Young Drivers test.
1st Place: 25 Hours of Thunderhill – Flying Lizard Motorsport – Audi R8 LMS – (Teammates) Darren Law, Johannes van Overbeek, Mike Hedlund
Official Host for Audi at 24 Hours of Le Forza – Broadcasted event with millions of viewers. Von Moltke was the host and main commentator during this special event.
Official Audi Driver at U.S. R8 V10+ Media Launch – von Moltke was the official driver for Audi of America at the exclusive launch of the Audi R8 V10+ to media at Daytona International Speedway.
Partnerships: Audi of America, Battery Tender
(All results are for the Paul Miller Racing Audi R8 LMS in the Tudor United Sportscar Series GTD Class. Team mates are Bryce Miller for Endurance Races and Chris Haase)
5th Place: 24 Hours of Daytona
5th Place: 12 Hours of Sebring
2nd Place: Laguna Seca
Pole & 3rd Place: Detroit Grand Prix
3rd Place: 6 Hours of Watkins Glen
Pole Position: Lime Rock Park
Pole & 5th Place: Virginia International Raceway
Pole & 3rd Place: Circuit of the Americas
Winner: 2015 GTD Total Pole Award
Sponsors: Battery Tender
(All results are with the Flying Lizard Motorsports No. 35 Audi R8 LMS in the Tudor United Sportscar Series GTD Class. Principle team mate was Seth Neiman)
5th Place: 24 Hours of Daytona (28 cars)
5th Place: 12 Hours of Sebring (23 cars)
5th Place: Laguna Seca (23 cars)
Sponsors: PRNewswire, UBM Tech, Battery Tender
1st Place: 24 Hours of Daytona, GT Class. Alex Job Racing WeatherTech Audi R8, number 24. Team mates Audi factory drivers Filipe Albuquerque, Oliver Jarvis, Edoardo Mortara.
1st Place: 12 Hours of Sebring, GTC Class. Alex Job Racing WeatherTech Porsche No. 22. Co-drivers Cooper MacNeill and Jeroen Bleekemolen.
3rd Place: Long Beach Grand Prix, GTC Class, Flying Lizard Motorsports No. 44, co-diver Brian Wong
1st Place: Baltimore Grand Prix, GTC Class, Flying Lizard Motorsports No. 44, co-driver Seth Neiman
Sponsors: PRNewswire, UBM Tech, Battery Tender
1st Place: 12 Hours of Sebring, GTC Class. Alex Job Racing Porsche No. 23. Co-drivers Townsend Bell and Bill Sweedler
1st Place: Palm Beach Grand Prix, Pro Class. Flat 6 Motorsports Porsche GT3 Cup car. Co-driver Dr. Jim Norman
2nd Place: Lime Rock, Grand-AM GT Class. APR Motorsport No. 51 Audi R8 LMS. Co-driver Dr. Jim Norman
Sponsors: PRNewswire, South African Airways, Parathyroid.com, SAABC
Grand-AM: Rolex Daytona 24 Hour, Muehlner Motorsport, No. 18 Porsche GT3, 9th place
ALMS: Full season completed in GTC Class: The Racers Group (TRG), No. 68 Porsche GT3
4th place finish at Sebring 12 Hour
1st place at Lime Rock
2nd place at Mosport
Top 5 finishes in 7 of 9 races
5th place in driver championship, TRG 2nd place in team championship
Sponsors: PRNewswire, South African Airways, SAABC
Grand-AM: Rolex Daytona 24 Hour, Starworks Motorsport, Riley Daytona Prototype
Grand-AM: Rolex Series, Daytona Prototype Class, Doran Racing No. 77 Dallara Ford
Finished 10 of 12 races in top 10
Rookie of the year in the DP class
Fastest Trueman Aiken driver in 8 of 9 sessions
Sponsors: PRNewswire, South African Airways, Brand South Africa
Skip Barber MX-5 Cup
2 Wins out of 2 races at the inaugural event, Laguna Seca
Grand-AM: APR Motorsport No. 181 Golf GTi in the Grand-AM Continental Tire ST class
3 Wins: at Watkins Glen, Mid-Ohio, and Miller Motorsports Park.
2007– Completed intensive formula car schooling at Skip Barber in their Regional and National race series, with numerous podium finishes at major race tracks all over the US, consistently proving that he is one of the fastest drivers on the circuit. Competed in the Snap-On and IRL sponsored “Stars of Karting” and “Florida Winter Tour” series in the ICA Series.
2006– Raced in the “Starts of Karting” series, with several pole positions and race wins in the Spec Racer (TAG) class, finishing the championship in 4th. Top 10 in Easykart World Championship, missing out on fastest lap by less than one tenth of a second. Winner of 2006 EasyKart 125cc Grand National Championship race. 2nd Place finish in first race of PRI Stars of Karting event.
2005 – Winner of the EasyKart 100cc Winter Championship Series. Winner of the WKA Florida State Regional Championship Series.
2004 – Finished second in the EasyKart 100cc Summer Championship Series. Won pole position and the first race in the Cope de Las America’s karting championship in San Carlos, Venezuela.
Dion enjoys visiting South Africa, relaxing at the beach, working out hard twice a day at the gym, and spending most weekends at the race track.
Licenses/ Qualifications / Credentials
- Race car driver instructor, founder of Perform-360 coaching program
- FIA (IMSA Tudor Series) License Class B and C, with International permissions
- IMSA Silver License
- NASA Competition License
- SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) National Racing License
- Skip Barber Regional and National Licenses
- WKA (World Karting Association) Racing License
- EasyKart USA National Racing License
- Graduate: Performance Prime Race Driver Development Program, Dr. Jacques Dallaire.
- Graduate: Formula Medicine Full Training and Physical /Mental evaluation program, Pisa, Italy (2011 and 2012)
- Member, Porsche Club America, Audi Club
Racing Schools Graduated
- 28 December 2006: Skip Barber Racing School – 3 Day Basic (Sebring, Florida)
- 6 March 2007: Skip Barber – 2 Day Advanced Racing School (Sebring, Florida)
- 27 November 2007: Bondurant — 3 Day Advanced Grand Prix Racing School (Chandler, Arizona)
- 12 June 2008: John Powell Motorsports Advanced Driving Mosport Park, Canada
- 15 August 2009: Rob Wilson, Full day personal tuition, Bruntingthorpe, UK
|Cars: 2007 to 2015||Karts: 2004 to 2007|
|Number of Days on Track||365||374|
|Number of Races||117||122|
|Number of Finishes||105||114|
|Number of Top 10 Finishes||101||92|
|Number of Podium Finishes||31||56|
|Number of Wins||12||18|
Tracks Driven – Formula and Sports Cars
- Mid-Ohio Sports Car Track (Dallara Daytona Prototype, APR Golf GTi, Skip Barber F2000, Porsche GT3 ALMS) 21 Track Days
- Road America (Skip Barber F2000, Porsche GT3 ALMS, Audi R8 LMS) 31 Track Days
- Miami Homestead (Daytona Prototype, Porsche GT3, BMW M1, Audi R8 LMS) 12 Track Days
- Miller Motorsports Park (Skip Barber F2000, APR Golf GTi, Daytona Prototype) 14 Track Days
- Lime Rock Raceway (APR Golf GTi, Skip Barber F2000, Daytona Prototype, Porsche GT3 ALMS, Camaro GS, Audi R8 LMS) 25 Track Days
- Daytona International Speedway (Dallara Daytona Prototype, APR Golf GTi, Audi S6, Racers Edge RX-8, Porsche GT3 Cup car, Audi R8 LMS) 46 Track Days
- Watkins Glen (APR Golf GTi, Daytona Prototype, Audi R8 LMS) 26 Track Days
- Sebring International (Skip Barber F2000, BMW M3, Porsche GT3 ALMS, Audi R8 LMS) 42 Track Days
- Road Atlanta (ALMS LMP1, Skip Barber F2000, Porsche GT3 Cup car, Audi R8 LMS) 30 Track Days
- Laguna Seca Raceway (APR Golf GTi, Mazda MX-5, Porsche GT3 Cup car, Audi R8 LMS) 18 Track Days
- Mosport Park, Ontario, Canada (Saturn ION, APR Golf GTi, Porsche GT3 ALMS) 13 Track Days
- Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada (Skip Barber F2000) 4 Track Days
- Virginia International Raceway (APR Golf GTi, Skip Barber F2000, Porsche GT3 Cup Car, Camaro GS, Daytona Prototype) 29Track Days
- Roebling Road, Savannah (Rolex GT Pontiac GTO, Mazda RX-8 GT) 3 Track Day
- Bondurant Racetrack, Phoenix (Bondurant Corvette) 3 Track Days
- Little Talladega Raceway, AL (APR Golf GTi) 1 Track Day
- Barber Motorsports Park, AL (Rehagen Mustang Koni GS, Daytona Prototype, Audi R8 LMS, Porsche GT3 Cup Car), 18 track days
- Autobahn Motorsports Country Club, IL (BMW 125), 1 Track day
- New Jersey Motorsports Park (Rolex GT Mazda RX-8, Porsche Rolex GT, Golf GTI, Daytona Prototype, Audi R8 LMS) 15 Track days
- Iowa Speedway (APR Golf GTi) 3 track days
- Kyalami International Raceway, South Africa, Super Modified V8 Wesbank Jaguar XKR, 3 Track Days
- Nurburgring, Nord Schleife and Grand Prix race tracks in a BMW 130
- Montreal Gilles Villeneuve (Daytona Prototype, Audi R8LMS) 6 track days
- Long Beach Grand Prix, Porsche GT3 Cup car, 4 track days
- Baltimore Grand Prix street circuit, Porsche GT3 Cup car, 5 track days
- Palm Beach Raceway, Porsche GT3 Cup car, and Mustang Chump Car, 6 Track days
- Belle Isle, Detroit, Audi R8 LMS, Porsche GT3 Cup Car, 10 track days
- Indianapolis International Raceway, Audi R8 LMS, 2 track days
- Circuit of the Americas, Porsche GT3 Cup car, Grand-Am and GTC ALMS, Audi R8 LMS 13 track days
- Infineon Raceway, Porsche GT3 Cup Car, 2 track days
- Spring Mountain, Audi R8 LMS, 3 track days
- Nola Motorsports Park, Audi R8 LMS, 1 Track day